Pathologic and oncologic outcomes in locally advanced gastric cancer with neoadjuvant chemotherapy or chemoradiotherapy

Ji Yeong An, Hyoung Il Kim, Jae Ho Cheong, Woo Jin Hyung, Choong Bae Kim, Sung Hoon Noh

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

20 Citations (Scopus)


Purpose: Although neoadjuvant therapy has been accepted as a treatment option in locally-advanced gastric cancer, its prognostic value has been difficult to evaluate. Materials and Methods: Seventy-four gastric cancer patients who underwent gastrectomy after neoadjuvant treatment were divided into two groups according to the pathologic response: favorable (ypT0) and others (ypT1-4). The clinicopathologic characteristics, predictive factors for pathologic response, and oncologic outcome were evaluated. Results: Eleven patients (14.8%) demonstrated ypT0 and the remaining 63 patients (85.2%) were ypT1-4. Chemoradiotherapy (CCRTx) rather than chemotherapy (CTx) was the only predictive factor for a favorable pathologic response. Chemotherapeutic factors and tumor marker levels did not predict pathologic response. The 1-, 2-, and 3-year disease-free survivals were 83.4%, 70%, and 52.2%. The 1-, 3-, 5-year overall survivals were 88.5%, 67.5%, and 51.2%, respectively. Although a complete pathologic response (ypT0N0M0) was achieved in 7 patients, 28.6% of them demonstrated recurrence of the tumor within 6 months after curative surgery. Conclusion: CCRTx rather than CTx appears to be more effective for achieving good pathologic response. Although favorable pathologic response has been achieved after neoadjuvant treatment, the survival benefit remains controversial.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)888-894
Number of pages7
JournalYonsei medical journal
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 2013 Jul

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • General Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Pathologic and oncologic outcomes in locally advanced gastric cancer with neoadjuvant chemotherapy or chemoradiotherapy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this