Ovarian clear cell carcinoma sub-typing by ARID1A expression

Jae Yoon Choi, Hyun Ho Han, Young Tae Kim, Joo Hyun Lee, Baek Gil Kim, Suki Kang, Nam Hoon Cho

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

12 Citations (Scopus)


Purpose: Loss of AT-rich DNA-interacting domain 1A (ARID1A) has been identified as a driving mutation of ovarian clear cell carcinoma (O-CCC), a triple-negative ovarian cancer that is intermediary between serous and endometrioid subtypes, in regards to molecular and clinical behaviors. However, about half of O-CCCs still express BAF250a, the protein encoded by ARID1A. Herein, we aimed to identify signatures of ARID1A-positive O-CCC in comparison with its ARID1A-negative counterpart. Materials and Methods: Seventy cases of O-CCC were included in this study. Histologic grades and patterns of primary tumor, molecular marker immunohistochemistry profiles, and clinical outcomes were analyzed. Results: Forty-eight (69%) O-CCCs did not express BAF250a, which were designated as “ARID1A-negative.” The other 22 (31%) OCCCs were designated as “ARID1A-positive.” ARID1A-positive tumors were more likely to be histologically of high grades (41% vs. 10%, p=0.003), ERβ-positive (45% vs. 17%, p=0.011), and less likely to be HNF1β-positive (77% vs. 96%, p=0.016) and E-cadherinpositive (59% vs. 83%, p=0.028) than ARID1A-negative tumors. Patient age, parity, tumor stage were not significantly different in between the two groups. Cancer-specific survival was not significantly different either. Conclusion: We classified O-CCCs according to ARID1A expression status. ARID1A-positive O-CCCs exhibited distinct immunohistochemical features from ARID1A-negative tumors, suggesting a different underlying molecular event during carcinogenesis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)59-66
Number of pages8
JournalYonsei medical journal
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 2017 Jan

Bibliographical note

Funding Information:
This study was supported by the 2014 medical student research grant from the Yonsei University College of Medicine and by a grant from the Korea Health Technology R&D Project through the Korea Health Industry Development Institute (KHIDI), funded by the Ministry of Health & Welfare, Republic of Korea (grant number: HI13C0858).

Publisher Copyright:
© Yonsei University College of Medicine 2017.

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Medicine(all)


Dive into the research topics of 'Ovarian clear cell carcinoma sub-typing by ARID1A expression'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this