Clinical characteristics and prognostic factors of stress-induced cardiomyopathy

Jun Won Lee, Jang Young Kim, Young Jin Youn, Joong Kyung Sung, Nam Seok Lee, Kyoung Hoon Lee, Byung Su Yoo, Seung Hwan Lee, Junghan Yoon, Kyung Hoon Choe

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

21 Citations (Scopus)


Background and Objectives: Stress-induced cardiomyopathy (SCM) is characterized by a transient left ventricular (LV) dysfunction due to emotional and physical stress. There are limited data about the clinical characteristics in Korean patients. We sought to clarify the clinical features and prognosis in patients with SCM. Subjects and Methods: We reviewed 39 cases diagnosed with SCM in a tertiary hospital. The SCM was diagnosed as: 1) no previous history of cardiac disease, 2) acute onset, 3) regional wall motion abnormality, typically in the takotsubo or inverted takotsubo shape by echocardiography, and 4) no significant stenosis in the coronary angiogram. We evaluated clinical characteristics, biomarkers, and prognosis. Results: Mean age was 61.3±16.1 years (female 69%). The triggering factors were physical stress in 32 patients (82%) and emotional stress in 5 patients (13%). The initial symptom was dyspnea (n=18, 46%) rather than chest pain (n=10, 26%). An initial electrocardiogram (EKG) presented T-wave inversion (n=18, 46%), ST-elevation (n=11, 28%), and ST-depression (n=2, 5%). Multivariate logistic regression analysis showed that initial high sensitive C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) {odds ratio (OR) 1.41, 95% confidence interval (CI); 1.02-1.97} and initial left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) (OR 0.89, 95% CI; 0.80-0.98) were significantly associated with death or cardiogenic shock, respectively. Conclusion: The major triggering factor of SCM is physical stress due to illness or surgical procedures, and the first manifestation is dyspnea rather than chest pain. Elevated hs-CRP and decreased LVEF at admission were independent risk factors for death or cardiogenic shock.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)277-282
Number of pages6
JournalKorean Circulation Journal
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - 2010 Jun

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Internal Medicine
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Clinical characteristics and prognostic factors of stress-induced cardiomyopathy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this